The Call for Contributions for the 2022 Summer Seminar Series is now closed.
The Discourse Research Association of Ireland (DRAOI) is hosting our second annual Summer Seminar Series!
This series follows on from the success of last year’s inaugural Summer Seminar Series, which saw seven weeks of fascinating talks and discussions preceded by an informal get-to-know-you event with DRAOI members. We are delighted to once again offer this important networking and workshopping opportunity for discourse researchers in Ireland, who study Irish discourses, or who have some connection to Ireland.
We intend for DRAOI’s Summer Seminar Series to provide a welcoming, informal space for discourse researchers at all stages of scholarship to share their work, meet other discourse-oriented folks from different institutions and departments, have productive discussions, receive feedback, and provide an outlet for research-related events during the less busy summer months.
Similarly to last year, we welcome contributions from anyone who meets the broad criteria for membership in DRAOI for (formal or informal) scholarly talks taking a variety of forms. We welcome contributions of talks or presentations already given–or planned to be given–in other venues. Formats may include, but are not limited to:
- Book talks (at any stage of production/publication)
- Pre- or post- conference presentation
- An overview of thesis research
- Workshopping ideas for an upcoming publication
- Overview of a new research project (individual or as a team)
- Crash course in your subfield’s approach to discourse (see below)
- A research proposal, seeking advice on approaches from peers
The remit of topics for DRAOI’s Summer Seminar Series is likewise quite broad and open-ended, as we hope to encourage scholars coming from various disciplines, departments, methodologies, and interpretations of “discourse.” Researchers focusing on any aspect of discourse are welcome, including, but not limited to:
- Discourse analysis
- Critical discourse analysis/studies (CDA/CDS)
- Interpersonal communication
- Multimodal discourses
- Visual discourses
- Foucauldian/ post-structuralist/ Essex approaches to discourse
- Linguistic approaches to discourse (e.g. pragmatics)
- Economic and sociological discourses
- Discourse(s) in/of industry
- Social semiotics
- Textual analysis
- Discourse theory
We intend for the Summer Seminar Series to take place weekly in July and August, with possible dates in June, depending on demand. Due to the ongoing COVID-19 situation, and for the safety and convenience of our members, we are currently planning for the Summer Seminar Series to take place virtually.
Proposals for the 2022 Summer Seminar Series were due on 15 April 2022. Thank you to everyone who has submitted a proposal. We are finalising the schedule of talks and will update this space in due course. Please sign up for our mailing list and follow us on Twitter to receive the latest updates.
For any questions, concerns, or suggestions, feel free to get in touch with us via email at email@example.com.